View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 03:15 AM   #10
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I don't think my car has a built in oil-temp gauge. It does have water temp luckily but that's about it. One of my few gripes about the 1SS package with no center cluster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSicSicSicXx View Post
Oil temp on DIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
My oil temps shoot right up to 270/280 in just a few laps but it stabilizes and doesn't go any higher. I put a few track days on the oil with these temps and sent it in for oil analysis. It came back fine with no damage to the oil, breakdown or excessive oxidation.
2014+ models have it in DIC. For older models, you have to have 2SS for the gauges. Anyway, the reading on DIC is a bit rigged. The DIC reading never gets above 266 F, but if you read it from OBD II, it keeps climbing. Even if you read from OBD II, the temp reading is actually calculated(!). It might work well for bone stock cars, but once you start modifying your car, it will clearly be very off. I actually discovered this by installing a giant oil cooler only to read the same temps. Then I read a posting about how these are calculated estimates. In short, to see your real oil temp, you need an oil temp gauge. Apparently, GM has real readings only in dry-sump models like LS7, etc.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote