View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Wish I could explain, I generally just "feel" it. If I'm going slow and I'm downshifting to 2nd I normally give it a small pulse and that does the trick perfectly. It really depends on the speed. 2nd goes from about 8mph at idle to 65mph at redline so the closer your current speed is to 8mph the less gas you should give it. Like if I'm on a hill stopped waiting for a light, when it turns green I'll roll in neutral if its steep enough then press the clutch in and put it in 2nd. When I hit 8 mph I let off the clutch with no gas and the gear engages smoothly. Now lets say I'm rolling on flat ground same situation with the car in 2nd and the clutch in, and I'm going say 20 mph, I'll give her about 20-25% throttle. If I'm going 45-65 mph and I want to go into 2nd, which are likely race like situations, I'll give it a minimum of 60-80% throttle to get that perfect downshift with no jerk.

How many miles do you have? You probably just need practice.

My best advice, start by giving it more gas than you think you need and work your way down into finding the sweet spot. You won't cause too much damage giving it more gas but you will if you aren't giving enough and you jerk it, which means you're bogging.

Lol I hope I helped even a tiny bit, very hard to explain over the internet.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote