View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman22 View Post
Hey guys,

Just wanted to make an info post about loose rear axle nuts on our cars. My 1le had both rear axle nuts loose from the factory. The torque spec is 200ft-lbs and the nut is a 36mm. There are others who have had this problem on these boards. After I tightened mine, any drivetrain play i had has totally disappeared. It's worth checking.
Are you reffering to the screws that hold the axle (cv shaft) onto the differential? Or are you talking about something else? I know they have had problems on some of the being loose I have only visually checked mine but I should probably torque them also. 200 ft-lbs is a lot of torque on a little screw like that, there are grade 10.9 though. I know the service manual isn't real clear on a torque value too, they seem to like to call the drive shaft a "propeller shaft" and the axle shafts as "drive shafts". Are you talking about the wheel hub nut?

And as far as the driveline slack going away, are you referring to the clunk whenever you are coasting and step on the gas again? (the electronic throttle and other things do a good job of masking this is some situations but you can still definitely feel it and it really ruins the experience of the car and makes it seem like a POS.

Or are you talking about the clunk/clang/rattle when you go from drive to reverse and back? I believe this is mostly up and down movement on the driveshaft since the middle carrier "bearing" lets it move around so much. I think its a 2 piece driveshaft with this ridiculously loose carrier support in the middle to try to minimize vibrations. But its funny how they go to these great lengths to try to minimize these vibrations but then they don't care at all about the way more highly noticeable clunk/clank/rattle of the driveshaft when you shift to drive from park/neutral. Its insane how no one cares about that it seems like but me. I would way rather have a slight barely noticeable vibration than the clunk/clang that makes the car feel like a big POS.

Last edited by cmitchell17; 04-11-2020 at 09:36 PM.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote