View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #18
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
There are jurisdictions around here where if a person is 10+ mph over the speed limit then they loose their right of way - meaning if you pull out in front of them & they're speeding then they're at fault. However I would think it would be hard to prove unless it's so bad (like a death) that the police would spend the time/money/effort to find out.

IMHO it's totaled. Hopefully you have something along the lines of accident forgiveness so you don't see a huge rate increase. I'd be worried if the other people were injured & decide to come after you & your insurance company.

Best of luck.
Could you link that law you referenced about +10mph? Or give the state that has that law so I could look it up. I'm curious to read it.

Officer's don't determine fault at an accident. They write a citation based on whether a violation of the law occurred. It is up to the insurance companies to determine who is at fault, from the police report, citations and witness statements. Police just document what happened as a independent third party.

Generalizing laws across states here, but you NEVER have the right of way making a left turn, you must yield to all traffic no matter the direction.

Hard to determine speed from damage. Since these cars crumble so easily. A more telling tale would be the skid marks of the vehicles and the impact point. Simple physics will tell the speed.

Best of luck to you OP. Be thankful all your wife sustained was a bruise, Chevy did great manufacturing these vehicles for safety.