View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #24
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
Thanks, but I don't think I am the luckiest when it comes to pricing. I just read a thread in the last week or so where someone got something like $7000 or so off with his GM Business Card. I guess the redemption rules must be different for the Business Card; I've never researched it but that is a NICE discount.

I think a H/C approach can be just as reliable as F/I if the proper approach is taken. I think a problem many have is they want the sound of a nice cam so they purchase on that factor alone without putting together a complete package. With a proper H/C setup, the heads, cam, intake, exhaust, gear ratio and desired performance envelope are all put together into a comprehensive package to work together. Granted, that is where F/I is easier--put an S/C on with a tune and the other factors aren't as big of a consideration as with a proper H/C package. In other words, an S/C will work well with an otherwise untouched or modified car. To work properly a H/C car will need the proper cam and head modifications to work with the rest of the car. I think that is where we see horror stories--put too aggressive of a cam into an otherwise stock L99 (and stock geared) car and you lose idle quality, bottom end torque (important on a 4000lb car); that car would be no fun to drive and most likely a disappointment.

I think the 1LE is an ideal platform to set up as a H/C car. The improved gearing is already there and the car is nicely balanced at its stock weight.

I will do a build thread but I'm still in the steep part of the learning curve. I have quite a bit of experience building well-performing classic cars in the manner I described above. I've left my new cars stock in the past and toyed with my older cars. Now I'm reversing that approach a bit as I now have an original 79 T/A I can't mess with without hurting its value, so I'm going to put my efforts into modifying the 1LE. While the concepts are the same, obviously there are differences that I have to become familiar with and learn. For that, I'll turn to the experts here on the forum; you're never too old to learn!
The best part of modding a new car is none of the bolts are rusty! And i think you will enjoy how easy the Camaro is to work on. Lots of room in this big chassis.

And you are right about a well planned H/C combo. It can be reliable and fun. But most importantly the work needs to performed by someone who knows exactly what they are doing. You will be moving the power band up a bit with less low end torque. A centrifugal charger provides the biggest boost at the big end, but loses no low end torque.

One thing I have learned about modding a new is that you want to mostly add things you can take off and sell if you decide to change cars. I spent a good chunk of money upgrading my bushings that I wish I did not do now as i contemplate a 2014 1LE. Although I have enjoyed less wheelhop and rear stepout with this mod. The rest of my chassis mods will be showing up in the forum market.

Even though I will most likely get that 2014 1LE (if it still exists, there are 2014 changes) but I have my eye on the next gen Camaro, Mustang, and Barracuda.