View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #218
sho928

Drives: Porsche 928 S4, Mustang GT vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
.....ZL1 is made to launch hard, at high RPM's, and even with slicks on it...it's been beefed up mechanically to unbelievably high standards for OEM factory equipment..., now as far as the 1LE, Z-28 rear axle and shafts <likely they will be the same>....dicey proposition for drag racing with hard launches...just sayin...not designed for it, But they will be at the track horsing around in the '1320 non the less. Dumping the clutch isn't required in road racing....and there may be something in the warranty to reflect that. Who knows...
at

Well said!
I recall close to a 100 lbs were saved using the 1LE diff and half shafts over the ZL1 unit.
Additional factors that may hurt the launch is the reduced weight transfer due to stiffer shocks/springs and lowered stance.
The last item I have not researched thus am just guessing, but typically track cars have closer gear spacing between 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th leaving a tall first gear and big gap to 2nd (not good for the drags with sticky tires, easy to burn clutches and/or bog).
I believe 6th will still be used to knock down the effective final drive using the 3.91 rear to get good mpg.
If any one knows the actual Trans gear ratios that would interest me to compare to ZL1 and SS
sho928 is offline   Reply With Quote