View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #18
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
Awesome, this is great. So I purchased some of the iron remover. I havent noticed any of those spots on my car before, but it cant hurt to do it anyways. I am going to order the speedy towel and clay lube next week. And in a couple weeks, when the weather finally clears up here, spend a weekend doing all of this. I still have a lot of the wax left, so I will use it up. How often do you recommend waxing? How about the speedy towel? Once a month? Once a quarter? My car doesnt spend a whole lot of time outdoors but not constantly in the garage. And I just purchased a cover from a member here, so when it is outside, it will be covered.
Thanks again! I am really excited to see how it turns out by doing it properly
I'm sure you'll see some purple spots come up when you use the Iron Remover.

As far as the wax reapplication, I'd do it when your paint no longer beads/sheets water very well when you wash it. Since your car doesn't spend much time outside, and the Americana is a blend of Carnauba and polymers, I'd expect it should last several months before it needs to be re-applied.

You use the SM towel when your car needs it, by checking the paint after washing/drying it, doing the baggie test. It varies as to how often this is needed, because it's based upon what your paint is exposed to. Being that you garage it, It should be OK to do it annually.

When you use the towel, be sure to first break it in on the glass. It comes with a coating on it to protect the surface while packaged, and this needs to be removed. Fold it in quarters, using 1 section on the windshield, one on the driver's side, one on the rear glass, and one on the passenger side. Your towel will now be "broke in", and you can use it on the paint. It's OK to use some pressure with it on the glass.

When you use it on the paint, unlike standard clay, do not use any pressure, simple spray lube on the section, and on the towel.
I use a lot of lube because UWWPC is inexpensive. You will hear and feel contaminants as you glide it across the surface. When it is quiet, and you feel no more "bumps", continue to the next section.

If you accidentally drop the towel, rinse it in warm water. It will release anything stuck on it an be good to go.

When your done with it, rinse it in warm water, squeeze out excess, and allow it to air dry. Once dry put it back in the packaging.

Only use the cover when the car has just been washed. Putting a cover on a dirty car will grind the dirt into the clear coat, causing micro scratches.

Follow this process and you'll get the most out of your Americana.

When it's time to re-apply….

1) Strip wash the car - you don't want any old wax left over on the paint.

2) Do the baggie test after washing - if the paint feels good with no "bumps", skip using the SM Speedy Fine Grade towel.
If contaminates are present, use as described earlier.

3) Prep the surface - Use IPA or a paint prep to remove any residues or oils on the paint. You want the paint completely free of these to ensure the best possible surface for your wax to bond to.
Wear nitrile gloves! No sense to put oil from your hands in your towel, and wipe it back on the paint.

4) Apply your wax - Try to make your layer as thin as possible. Any excess you buff off is waste. Again wear gloves, you don't want oils from your hands on the paint.

5) When you remove wax excess that hazes, do it gently and slowly. You just want to remove the excess, no need to use a lot of pressure or fast movement. Keep those gloves on!

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote