View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
thallman91

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS VR Vert!
So..for me..I took the "happy wife" approach. I'm 42...and am out of the "18 year old sound"...so didn't need to sound like a F14 Tomcat coming down the street. But I did want more sound than what was on stock. I added a Cold Air Intake (Roto Fab) and immediately noticed a little more sound and more pop on the accelerator (I also have an Auto (L99)). I then looked (tirelessly - my wife can confirm she was SICK of hearing sound clips). I really REALLY loved the deep sound of the Borla S Type. But...as I looked around at different sites/posts...I found the potential of the dreaded "DRONE". At around 1800 - 2000 RPM..you'll get a deep DRONE in the cabin that bothers many. I knew that my wife would be pissed...and thereby..it'd be a problem I'd need to fix. (Looking back - a Borla S type with added JPipes (purchased from SOLO and added by a muffler shop) might have solved the problem.)

Anyway...I found the SOLO's and listened to the specific clips. Here's the SOLO Cat Back clip->

and the SOLO Axle back here ->

After hearing these...I felt the sound of the Cat Back..along with my CAI was very close to the Borla and would give the "happy wife" syndrome. Always key. That's what I have on my ride now (2011 VR 2SS/RS Vert). I picked up some High Flow cats from a local guy that was selling them, but haven't put them on yet. I'm concerned it might be "too much" sound if I do. I guess I can always take them off if it is.

Another option..might be to add a CAI, SOLO High Flow cats...and keep the "garbage cans" that came standard on it. This would give it more rumble....and sound....and still give you the drone killer that's standard on the Camaro.

I know..A TON of options....but for me (and others)..I've been happy with the SOLO Cat Back, CAI sound!

Good luck...and listen until your ears bleed. Then just decide!
TnT

2011 Victory Red Convertible - 2SS/RS
Completed Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Side vents, SOLO Cat-Back and High Flow Cats, VR Painted Engine Cover, ZL1 GFX, Hot Wheels Badging and Sills, HWSE Grill, HWSE 20" Wheels
Considering Mods: Backup Camera and internal screen

Fedorov for President! Ovechkin for Vice!
thallman91 is offline   Reply With Quote