View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #34
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
This thread just got me thinking....... I popped my #5 piston ringlands after upping the boost from 6 to 11 psi and up to 715rwhp. I was running -6 plugs when i was 6 psi and 637whp.

When i pulley'd down and added meth the shop i used at the time did not change out the plugs to -7 heat range. Just the smaller pulley, meth and tune.

Six weeks later and 6 gallons of meth my motor copped an attitude and there went #5 on the factory motor. Wonder if a cooler plug would have made it last a little longer.

I was on a mission to see how much crap the motor could take, and it held up pretty long. Just wonder if a cooler plug would have prolonged it a little longer

Food of thought.
So you were at 11 psi and 715 RWHP on -6 projected tip plugs? Pretty good chance they were turning into glow plugs and caused detonation. I would have used at least a 7 heat range, if the meth shot was small and/or the fuel was less than 93 octane I would have used an 8.

Another thing to add for anyone reading......a forged motor won't last any longer or hold any more power than the stock motor if the plugs are too hot. It creates detonation (preignition to be exact) that timing retard by the computer's knock sensor cannot help.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote