View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
OK now that I've had my rant, here's my post where I point out the flaws in the act. More for a fun read then anything else. I'll focus on the definition of a "stunt":

3. For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “stunt” includes any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:

1. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway, including driving a motorcycle with only one wheel in contact with the ground, but not including the use of lift axles on commercial motor vehicles. I once jumped my Avalanche. Fun, but scarry. I'll agree w/ this one - but had to laugh at the lift axel part

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning. How the heck do they prove intention? I was accelerating WITHIN the speed limit (law doesn't limit how quickly we can accelerate up to the speed limit) and my tires lost grip. Didn't mean for that to happen. The must hand out a lot of these tickets in the winter eh?

3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it. Again, winter ticket volume must be huge (or at least it s/b). Also again, how do you prove "control". When we get snow storms I go out and do slides and doughnuts with my truck. Why? 1 b/c it's fun and 2 b/c it teaches the driver how the vehicle behaves when in a slide, how to regain control, maintain control while spinning/sliding etc. This is something my Dad forced me to do and I even get my wife to do it. If you don't know how the vehicle you drive will react to steering/throttle input when in a slide b/c you've never tried it in a controled environment, how the hell are you going to know what to do when it happens for real, on the highway!? Of course I always do this in empty parking lots (which is probably illegal b/c of private property but anyway).

4. Driving two or more motor vehicles side by side or in proximity to each other, where one of the motor vehicles occupies a lane of traffic or other portion of the highway intended for use by oncoming traffic for a period of time that is longer than is reasonably required to pass another motor vehicle.
Ahh... playing chicken. Yep, that's stupid and dangerous. Agreed. Crush both their cars.

5. Driving a motor vehicle with a person in the trunk of the motor vehicle. Ahhh the good ol' days. I guess no more sneaking extra people into the drive-in. j/k

6. Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver’s seat. Other than the ice road truckers who set the cruise control and step out on the deck to take a leak, I'm struggling to figure out how this one works. So I agree... I guess

7. Driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is 50 kilometres per hour or more over the speed limit. EVERYWHERE???? Grrrrrrr, See previous rant

8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to prevent another vehicle from passing, Agreed - there's a reason blocking isn't permitted even on the track

ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver’s sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so, Agreed, for the most part. This is where 90% of the rear-enders come from. "oh, look at that!" *slams brakes for no reason* *crunch*

iii. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to drive, without justification, as close as possible to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object on or near the highway, or Understand the point, not sure how you police this. Oh, maybe this is where I put my 5' high bumper right in the review mirror of the idiot doing 90kph in the left lane on the highway to make him realize he's an idoit. I kid I kid.

iv. making a left turn where,

(A) the driver is stopped at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal system in response to a circular red indication; Absolutely agree

(B) at least one vehicle facing the opposite direction is similarly stopped in response to a circular red indication; and Don't understand this one

(C) the driver executes the left turn immediately before or after the system shows only a circular green indication in both directions and in a manner that indicates an intention to complete or attempt to complete the left turn before the vehicle facing the opposite direction is able to proceed straight through the intersection in response to the circular green indication facing that vehicle. Making your own advance green. Never done it before. Seen it done. Dangerous, stupid, agreed

So, I guess in one way or another, we're all stunt drivers then. Who knew!?!

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote