View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #71
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
OK Pete a dumb question and not meant to be smart. My car is an earlier Vin , before 25000, and there is a KNOWN issue with the tranny shafts. This is known by all parties involved that GM had some bad shafts due to defective materials.

Early on GM was supposed to contact people, provided lists of affected Tranny's etc..... but from what I know ,no such list exists.

GM says if you mod, you are SOL. Where does this seems like the right thing to do? They know a certain number of tranny's have a problem and it looks like they are crossing their fingers hoping either 1. that the person has modded their car so they will not have to fix it, or 2. or hoping it will not break at all.

I am not a smart man , but I feel it would take GM very little to inspect these shafts, we are only talking about a few in the grand scheme of things, and if the tranny is one that was affected they should fix it BEFORE something breaks maybe resulting in more damage to the car.

I have a system on my car, Launch Control, that I am afraid to use because if it breaks then too bad so sad, all beause I wanted more lope from a Muscle Car. If my tranny wasn't in the range of affected ones it would not be a problem.

I do not race but just would like to see what launch control actually does. Again I am not trying to be a smart -A** , I just think that these cars are so part numbered up that it would be easy for someone to look at the tranny, check the build date and see if it is one of theose tranny's susceptible to tailshaft breakage and fix it.

Thoughts?