View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #90
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Okay, back to the original topic, compound boost. I have been reading a bunch of technical crap in other forums and this is a hodgepodge of what I think I have figured out. I probably should have linked them and made more detailed notes but for the most part I was just reading. A lot of this is from forums where people just tried stuff and then explained what happened. Really don't know how good they were at troubleshooting. Here goes anyway.

1. When it comes to peak power, the turbocharger portion of every compound boost system could make more power all by itself because at some point near the top of the powerband the blower basically becomes a restriction.
2. Some people have measured boost pressure before and after the supercharger and found much more boost in front of the supercharger than after. A lot of this is attributed to the intercooler bricks used in the supercharger restricting flow.
3. In some supercharger systems the supercharger bypass can be manually overridden to help push more turbo boosted air at higher pressure into the engine without passing the intercooler brick restriction. (of course my LS9 blower routes all bypass air through the intercooler bricks)
4. Even in superchargers with a bypass that diverts around the brick, the supercharger bypass opening is always too small to handle the full volume of air produced by high flow/ high boost turbochargers.
5. The biggest key to the max potential power available seems to be the blower, you can have 35 pounds of boost in front of the blower and only 18 that can pass to the intake manifold. So bigger turbos doesn't necessarily mean more boost, just a bigger bottleneck.
6. The end result generally equates to approximately a 10-25% gain over the supercharger at it's maximum stand alone capability with less overall heat and much more weight and complexity.

After all of this I'm thinking someone needs to design a supercharger with a huge bypass valve for the sole purpose of allowing unlimited compound boost.

So.... for me this comes down to... would it be worthwhile to add all the turbo equipment and gain 80-200 whp while keeping all the torque I have now.... or do I sell the blower and install just the turbos.....or do I need to put on a 4L Kenney Bell blower....

Ayousef... I'll bet your 4.0 whipple would work pretty well....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote