View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
This may be merely my opinion, but I whole-heartedly believe the "Z28", with an LS7 engine + accompanying performance parts needs to be strictly bare-bones when it comes to interior frills. My belief in this approach is two-fold, with neither of them being the common mention of weight reduction.

First, we are discussing a potential Z28 model that will not only fit into the current Camaro model lineup at a price point between the SS and the ZL1, but also as a model that does not directly compete with the SS nor the ZL1, thus cannibalizing sales of either of the two existing models. A manual transmission, hard top only, no frills, LS7 + performance parts Z28 is the ONLY way that such a feat is possible.

If the Z28 were to have leather interior, HUD, bluetooth, Ipod, Auto transmission, convertible top, or any other such features as options, it would risk taking sales away from the 2SS or even the ZL1. The 2SS should remain the top of the line frills wise for the middle of the road Camaro buyers, as should the ZL1 for the top of the line Camaro buyers. Those will be the differentiators in deciding on one of those two models as opposed to the Z28.

That way, the Z28 only risks eating a few 1SS sales. Which is the road of least loss for GM. One, because dealers almost never seem to have mere 1SS models on their lots, and two, the price difference will still lead many to choose the 1SS in many cases anyway. If not for price difference, then for the possibility of RS package, or auto transmission, or convertible top.

Second, we want to keep the price well below ZL1 money, but not too much more than 2SS money. Paying extra for performance only seems to me to be the only way a true Z28 could be made, fit into the lineup, and not risk eating sales of other models.

Heck, it could have crank up windows for all I care, so long as I'm paying for performance, anything else that cuts the overall cost down frills wise would be a good move in my book.

That's my 2 cents, for what it is worth.
There are many variables to making a purchase, however the majority will buy perfomance/luxury based on what they can afford. The performance based on pricepoint is the main reason for the Z28. Then also there are those who appreciate the heritage/track design. Building a Z28 will hurt the aftermarket more than cannibalize SS sales. I agree no vert, but why no bluetooth, USB, etc.? And crank windows weigh more than electric now days. Remember GM has to be able to sell a model to many customers, some may want a stripper others like some toys.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote