View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #159
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Is magnesium even as malleable as aluminum for stamping? And aluminum wins no awards in that respect, either...
You can only cast magnesium. Aluminium can be stamped from sheets or extruded (awesome for that) or cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...nesium-trucks/

With all this talk about 15% weight reduction, this looks like the obvious solution, because it follows precedent set over many years: reduce weight by using more expensive materials that reduce reliability and passenger safety.
USA Today did a really good article a while back explaining the human price paid for forced Fuel Economy standards. Considering the leanings of the source publication, the credibility of the research cannot be dismissed to bias.

I hope this is allowable discussion here. I'm completely serious.
So do you think the Z06 is less safe than a base Z06????? It has an aluminium frame (that my team engineered) and a magnesium cradle. I've not seen any issues with safety or reliability. When we tested it (including all the carbon fiber) we found it quite safe and quite durable. And I can assure you none of this was done for FE or C02. It was done for performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The same mindset that pushed us into these materials to stop polluting the air with CO2 are the same ones who have closed down almost all of the U.S. mines that were extracting rare earth metals.

The vast majority of rare earths are now being mined by Chinese firms, who control the price because they have the market cornered.

This topic contains my daily recommended allowance of irony.
Cuz they can dig it up and provide it at a lower cost. I'd guess you would agree that China has way less regulations as far as the environment that we do. In fact wouldn't you prefer they use up theirs first?? I know I would.