View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #170
briannutter

Drives: C4Vette,C5-Z06,Cherokee
It has to be.

Let me tell you this. Gas prices aren't the reason the Z28 isn't coming out. The type of person that buys the Z28 or GT500 or KR or Viper or GTR doesn't care if gas is $8 a gallon because the car isn't going to be a commuter.

GM will only be able to build so many of these cars in a given year and I'm sure they're going to have there hands full for the first 2 to 3 years after the first one hits the street. I'll bet the SS with Launch control will post as good of a number or better in the quarter mile as the GT500...therefore, why show their hand now. Wait for the other manufacturers to come back, then raise the bar again with a car that was developed 3 YEARS ago. No added cost for GM at that point.

All that being said, I won't be buying one until they do. They'll get my money, but only after their manufacturing capacity can support it. I WOULD have bought one now (even at $38K) because you never loose your money if you don't sell it.

The plus side is the aftermarket is thoroughly ready to release parts for the car. I work at Wiseco Piston and expected a variant of the LS3 for the base car...so I just so happen to have made pistons for it late last year. Same things for cams, aftermarket heads, and 350cfm CNC programs for the LS3 heads. As long as GM hasn't gone with Direct injection on it, the aftermarket will be able to come up with a programmer. 450 to 500whp is pretty easy to achieve with the engine even naturally aspirated. 600whp with a stock engine and a a blower is even easier.

The problem I've got now is I've got to find an intermediate car. Something I can have paid off by the time the Z28 does come out. Maybe a Smart car to weather the gas prices.
briannutter is offline   Reply With Quote