View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I think you answered your own question when you said it holds a lot of oil. If it was for sound dampening, I would think it would be glued to the lid and not held in place with five screws that allows for removal and cleaning.

The more I look at the internal design of the supercharger, the more convinced I am that it's been designed to act like it's own catch can. It certainly seems to provide numerous places for the oil to collect away from the intercooler bricks and bypass valve.
But does the excess oil drain off anywhere? Perhaps it accumulates to the point that one must have a GM "service" to clean the supercharger and intake of all this oil?

I had read in another thread months ago that an aftermarket catch can would void the warranty on a 6th Gen. Has there been anymore developments on this? I had a catch can on my '13 1LE and my '16 SS and stopped gobs of oil from fouling my intake passages. Does the SC in the ZL-1 need more, or at least internal, lubrication perhaps?

I have almost 15k miles on my ZL-1 with no catch can, and I know there's scads of oil swimming around in there. Someone tell me it's not fouling or gumming up my valves and intake, please!

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote