View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Killer View Post
Don't know where you live but my wife wanted to get a CTS-V instead of the ZL1 and she found a CTS-V coupe on auto trader in black diamond with 9xx miles for $54,995 in Texas. I called her a liar and had crow for supper haha.

This was a week or so ago.
That'll probably be the route I have to go if we're talking that kind of money. I was really hoping for a different senario, but it is what it is. That price doesn't sound bad at all for that 'V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
It would be interesting to see GM's actual marketing information and surveys with respect to the ZL1. I think that GM is trying to expand its customer base with the ZL1 and is not just relying on current Chevy loyalists to purchase the ZL1.

I'm not so sure there are a large number of potential ZL1 customers that GM can count on based solely on brand loyalty, especially at likely ZL1 prices. I think there is a relatively limited market for a Camaro with an MSRP over $50K, and with each $1K price increment over $50K, the pool of potential Camaro buyers shrinks. I think that there are many potential ZL1 buyers who are Chevy loyalists who will be stretching to make the purchase with a price in the the low to mid $50K's, and if it's priced much beyond that, those buyers will be forced to purchase a different vehicle.

There are the potential ZL1 buyers who can afford the vehicle at whatever price, but are wiling to (or who have a boss that will let them) pay only so much for a Camaro (remember the difficulty there was in selling the 9560 COPOs). Of those buyers, those who want a 2+2 vehicle will not purchase a Corvette. Some may purchase a CTS-V, but some will likely purchase a GT500, and I think that many will opt for a Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes.

There are some Chevy enthusiasts who won't buy a Ford, and vice-versa, but I think those individuals make up a very small percentage of the automobile buying public. One may tend to get a skewed view of those loyalist percentages if one tends to frequent enthusiast sites.
I'd like to see how their brains are ticking. I'm just not seeing what it seems like they might be seeing. I don't have a real pulse on the market, but I wonder how many buyer would laugh at the thought of a +$60K CAMARO...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote