View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #34
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imiuru4 View Post
i find it kind of hilarious that you can put on a supercharger but not a cai.

You can also go crazy with any 78 and older(i believe) cars as much as you want, no smog.
Ya, seems odd..I believe the CAI is because the V8 Camaro stock intake contains a carbon sheet of some sort designed to capture emissions and thus qualifies as a "pollution control device", and CARB rule is that once something is considered a Pollution Control Device you can't remove it or modify it unless the replacement works as effectively in controlling emissions (no aftermarket CAI does because apparently no one can affordably get access to the same carbon material GM used in the stock CAI since the company that makes it has an exclusive patent).

For vehicles I believe it's pre 1976 that is exempt from smog check, but not from emissions laws (technically still supposed to follow the rules, just no mandated check every two years). Pre 1967 are totally exempt.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote