View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #27
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
In my mind...and most race-oriented philosophies....it only makes sense to warm up your tires with a couple practice laps before beginning a competition....

It's the reason you burn out before a drag...the reason NASCAR has parade lap(s) before each race, and why you don't pull out of a garage and onto a track and expect to win....

That said...it's still a street car, so I wouldn't expect you'd need to burn out every morning before your trek to work.
Although I personally do not frown upon a smokey burn out before work, I know it just doesn't happen.... I'm afraid that pre-heating Goodyear's also doesn't happen during magazine testing... the top two tire manufacturers in the US provide tires that are superior in cold traction (guess which two) but they are not as durable and cheap as Goodyear's. I have a feeling, that when the GT500 and the ZL1 are compared in our popular publications, it will be like "Disney on Ice".. Where well known characters "try" to perform on a hardened surface, wearing performance costumes and moving about on sub-par equipment... with almost zero experience....
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote