View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #169
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Ok...I need a some suggestion on an alignment specs.

Here are most of my suspension mods:
BC Coilovers (lowered ~1.4")
Pedders subframe inserts
Pedders ZL1 swaybars and FE4 rear conversion (OEM drop links)
Aftermarket Toe Rods & Tie Rods
Rear End bushings
Radius Rod bushings

Here recently I just started nocticing that my car drives straight but the wheel is slightly tilted to the right. I guess it's more than slightly because you can definitely see it. No major damage to the car or curb surfing or anything. Actually the only thing I can think of that happened is my right rear drop link bolt came off and that ended up causing the drop link to jam into the LCA pretty good. It was jammed pretty tight in the LCA. Seems like this issue has come up after that happened. Although I'll say that I can't figure out how or why that would cause my steering to get knocked out.

I replaced the OEM drop link, re-timed my bushings just in case, and then had it re-aligned and asked him to get as close to the Pedders Aggressive Street specs as he could. I've attached the alignment sheet from that one which was done less than a month ago.

Well, that alignment didn't fix the steering wheel. I had to go out of town for a couple weeks and I'm just not getting back to the issue. Since I assumed the alignment was done correctly I was wondering if there is a something else going on.

I decided to take my car over to LG Motorsports since I know they road race Camaros. I figured they would at least have an idea. I had one of the guys drive the car around and he said he felt that mechanically I should be okay but the steering wheel is off. He thought that I would need to take it back to the alignment shop and have them make some adjustments to the front tie rods (shortening one side) to try to bring the wheels back to straight and then re-align. He also thought my rear toe was pretty aggressive for mostly street use and would probably eat some tire but would perform good under braking on the track. Props to LG for giving me feedback.

I've made an appointment to go back to the alignment shop on Monday. This time I want to take the alignment guy for a ride and show him what's up. I'm assuming he will understand what to do with the front tie rods to get my steering wheel back straight.

My question is, what should I try to get my rear Toe set to in order to not eat tires. I mostly daily drive the car with only one or two trips to a track or Auto-X a year as well as about 3 - 4 trips to the drag strip a year.

I've looked through this thread again and I see where it's been recommend to go with -5 degrees rear toe. Is that .5 or .05? Some even have their recommendations set to inches. I'm starting to read so much and there is so many different recommendations that I'm starting to get lost again.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote