View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #42
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
There's one big reason why the PCCBs wear so quickly -- bad drivers. Now, I'm not saying that Porsche drivers are any better or worse than Z/28 drivers, that's NOT my point. What happens is that the Porsche uses the brakes as to help rotate the car. It's a sophisticated system that makes the rear-drive car unable to kill drivers who are over-driving the car.

This was driven home brutally hard a few months back. A friend showed up at an HPDE with the latest/greatest GT3. Seriously, these are beautiful, and it had all the good stuff. He asked if I wanted to go for a ride, and though I generally don't like being a passenger if the driver's not a Pro, I thought, "Why not?".

Huge mistake. I've never been carsick since I was age 6 (and the milk I thought tasted funny proved to be bad) but this was awful. It took every ounce of willpower and controlled breathing to not vomit inside my helmet. The guy was brutal -- absolutely BRUTAL -- with the controls. The opposite of smooth and incredibly abrupt.

My point is this -- in 911s of old, he would have been dead. I'll check back with him to see how quickly his pads wear out, but that car was correcting his mistakes for at least 75% of every lap.

I love the CC brakes on the Z/28, and they are a huge reason for the lap times the car posts. I can't believe how the car gobbles up smaller, lighter cars in the braking zones.