View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #91
y-knot

Drives: Subaru Legacy Turbo
You guys are some of the worst "Car Guy's" I have ever come across. Most seem to know nothing about power adders and a few are darn right stupid. This remote kit, in one form or another has been available for almost 20 years, through an assortment of vendors. These kits were originally installed on higher priced cars, were the owners wanted a very clean and professional looking job, nothing to devalue the price of their expensive cars. Yes, you are most use to seeing hack jobs, where others cram the Turbo's into the hood area, which might seem normal and maybe tough looking. But, the fact is most under-hood turbo installs turn into a lifelong series of troubles. The excessive heat produced by the added and exposed exhaust system and related pieces takes it's tool on surrounding components and they eventually fail. Wiring melts, sensors get out of calibration and under hood temps eventually over-come any real gains. Turbo technology has come a very long way in the last several years. We now have the materials to make turbo charging a very effective and viable means to increase the performance and efficiency of the modern engine. That long route to the back of the car, can easily be over-come with the proper selection of turbines, housings and routing. In a conventional installation, the front mounted Turbo's, route the air forward to the front mounted coolers, then back to the engine. when all is said and done, there isn't that much difference between the length of the intake tubing between a front or rear mounted turbo installation. There is however a difference, between the supply side or hot side turbine distance, which can easily be overcome with the right selection of parts. In the end, the neater looking, cooler, stock appearing engine compartment is better off with the rear-mounted turbo installation. As for the water concerns, there are obvious limitations. You can see that the intake air filters for the system are mounted to collect air from the top of the rear fender wells, you would have to drive through water deep enough to enter the bottom of the car doors before it could enter the air system. If you're really that stupid, to drive your new Camaro through that deep of water, with a new rear mounted, twin turbo system, then perhaps you really don't deserve a car like that? Just a thought… Again, most front mounted twin turbo systems have their air intake systems mounted much lower, with the air filter mounted to the front of each front tire, and below the floor pan......much lower then up in the rear fender well!
I think too many times when one say's there negative comments, like Turbo's belong on V-6's, or Turbo's are stupid or they will have killer lag....What they are really trying to say is " I don't have one or the money to purchase one, so therefore those that do have the means and the cars with the parts, are stupid" or " if I had one it would be the best thing since sliced bread, but because I don't, it's no good" What a lame way to go through life.
y-knot is offline   Reply With Quote