View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #31
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Trunk Lid Bump Stop Adventure

Before my B2B expired I had taken my car in to get a bump stop fixed. The bump stops have a spring loaded piston in them and one of them kept getting what I thought then as stuck in a compressed position. Dealership had a look and gave me back the car after saying it was fixed and the work order states there was an "Abnormality in molding" and a new part was ordered. If they ever called to say the part was in I don't recall but I got the car back on 11JUL2017 and the bump stop piston was working properly. That lasted about 2 months and I noticed it was stuck in the compressed position again and poked it with my finger and the whole piston fell out of the bump stop into the trunk lid. At the time I was sick and tired of the service department's attitude and said eff it, trunk still works. Every now and then when I opened the trunk I could hear the piston rattle aroound.

This morning I vacuum the cabin and trunk and while I'm doing the trunk I notice the remaining piston is now in the "stuck" position and give it a poke with my finger and it falls into the lid. WTF over?! Now I'm left with this,

So I do a little hunting on the way to remove those panel retainers, land on an old thread here which talks about using a small screw driver and needle nose, fingers or the tool that's designed to do it. I tried using the plastic pry bar things I bought to remove the vent when I installed my gauges but that was a no go. Off to Autozone for the tool and some spare retainers. Got the tool and didn't have a retainer to match so came on home and got to work.

It's amazing how easy things are when the right tool is used. About 5 minutes after I got home had all but 4 of the retainers out and this falls out from the liner.

Pulled the last 4 and had all these parts.

These are the bump stops, assembled.

Went back to autozone for some fresh retainers and they didn't have any to match so ended up at O'Reilly and Advance to get 12 of them. Oddly, the ones that matched the closest were labeled for Chrysler and the set from advance were labeled universal. Both had the number 963-058 but the chrysler set have a D on the end and they seemed to fit the best.

So it's all back together now and looks like this.

I will change the way I close my trunk to a kinder, more gentler way to see if that keeps those pistons from falling out of the rubber grommet thing they're in. If it doesn't I'll either gorilla glue them in or hopefully find out those are the incorrect part and get the right ones.

Also took a video for reference and timed the brake lights before I buy those Hero's by Coplus from Phastek, which by the way should be happening tonight. Soon as I get done with this post I think. Gonna sneak a CAI in on this order to. WTH, if I'm going in to debt for these things, even if only for 3 months, might as well make it worth the effort. Be nice if that Welcome5 coupon code worked on these items. Ah well, karmic payback for not being a coupon or sales shopper.