View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #36
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
I'm confused what your suggesting.

Long Story

The 1LE is very well done from the showroom floor. The wheels, tire and gear ratio that are part of the 1LE package are a steal of a deal. The front sway bar diameter is 27mm solid. I have been running and selling front 27mm bars since 2009. I have also been using a 32mm rear bar since 2009 and wanted a much bigger rear bar. When the ZL1 was introduced with the new rear sway bar mounting points out closer to the wheels the geometry change made the bars effectively larger. A 32mm rear ZL1 / 1LE bar is ideal with the 1LE 27mm front.

The only reason the 1LE doesn't deliver from the factory with a 27mm rear bar is it makes the car too neutral. Broad based use of ABS saves lives, but impairs a drivers ability to learn how to drive. What you learn is ABS fixes everything. Sliding in a turn, lift and and brake hard. Let the ABS fix it. Slowing down or using ABS will fix it... in an UNDERsteer car. Make the car neutral or biased towards OVERsteer and lifting cuases a spin as fast as you can lift. With the square tire setup on the 1LE the 25mm front 28mm rear ZL1 bars made the car too neutral so they added the larger 27mm front 1LE bar to increase UNDERsteer. Replace the 28mm 1LE OEM bar with a Pedders 32mm Z bar and you now have the balance most drivers dream about. That is one reason it is included in the Permagrin kit.

TEAM Camaro has been tweaking the sub-frame bushings for the IRS almost annually. They are not quite good, but there is still rear end steer in the 1LE or a bit of loose rear end when the car is driven hard. Our sub-frame bushing increase the control surface over the OEM bushes by 300 to 900%. Rear end steer, loose rear end disappear making the 1LE more stable and more predictable. You can drive harder with more confidence.

The front fluid damped radius bushes are a bit too compliant for our driving style. This compliance results in a wider range of caster change than we like. We replace those with a urethane steel jacketed bushing and narrow the range of dynamic caster change. This improves the on center feel of your steering.

When we dial in a 5th Gen for the track we level the car. The ride heights with 20" wheels are 580mm front and rear. This is contrary to the setup of most race cars where the rear end is higher than the front end. The rake contributes to weight shift and helps in cormering and braking. The 5th Gen is a large structurally robust Muscle Car. We have found that by lowering the rear end weight transfer is more controlled and the car more composed. Dropspeed gets credit for using our 220033 rear coils with the 1LE front coils first on a 1LE. His track time results confirs this works well while preserving OEM ride quality.

Short Story

The money is in Sub-frame bushes, Radius and a 32mm Z bar. Take the air out of the rear with 220035s, but leave the front alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Not speaking for Pete but the way I understand it get a 1LE Permagrin kit and rear drop springs to level it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
Exactly.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote