View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #55
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
Edit: I don't know if it's been said yet, but I don't think the oil life indicator is actually measuring anything. I think it's just ticking down 10K miles. If it was measuring anything, when you changed it, you wouldn't have to reset it.
Sigh. You haven't been reading for comprehension.

Think it doesn't monitor anything, huh? How about this: Let's say you're on a road trip and the drive belt powering both your water pump and the supercharger (in my case) breaks, leading to a fast rise in water temp and a near-overheat condition. The OLM, previously reading around 60% life suddenly says "change oil now," and "0% left." I know, because it happened to me.

Of course I use the OLM, and I trust it. I might drive my car on short trips for months before I take a road trip that could last for 1000 miles. Why does the OLM tick down faster in town than it does on that road trip, even though I'm driving far more miles on that road trip than I ever did in the preceding months of short hauls?

Just check your oil regularly, use quality materials that meets the standards specified in the manual to include a good oil filter, reset the OLM when you do an oil change, and you are good to go.

I own four vehicles. I don't feel like hauling five gallon buckets of oil to the auto parts store for disposal unless I have to. And I've used Blackstone Labs for oil analysis to back me up. Anything else is just an opinion. I'll take science, thank you very much.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote