Thread: New Z/28 !?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #30
roost3r
@ElHefeZ28

Drives: 2015 White Z28
I think we are all looking at this the wrong way. Even though they couldnt sell them last time Chevy will go with a new approach to mass producing and marketing the car.

Think about this... Fred Gibbs basically created the ZL1 with the special order COPO. Yeah Chevy rode the horse but they didnt birth it. Chevy is behind it now and its clear the ZL1 is the top dog. They built it to compete across all levels of motorsports whether you want to prove your CAR is faster in the straight or if you want to prove YOU are faster in the turns. Chevy did birth the Z28 and I believe you cant argue that the Z28 has been the flagship of the Camaro line since 1969.

My thought is that Chevy goes the route of a more palatable street car than the ZL1 to attract those buyers that want more than the SS but dont want to go as deep as the ZL1. Something that isnt necessarily a track car like what we have but a hot street car, 600 (+/- 25) NA that you can still carry the kids to school in. Is there a market to compete against the GT350 crowd while the ZL1 takes on the GT500?

The 14/15 is Z28, arguably the 14 more so that the 15 given the low production number is a special car. You dont see them on every street corner and I rarely see them another at a show. My Z beat out 2 ZL1 1LEs at the last car show at Rick Hendricks race shops. The Z28 is just a special car and while I believe there WILL be another one. There wont be another one like ours. I believe the Z28 as we know it is dead and what will be born is something that sits in the middle.

Shows like Street Outlaws and the popularity of street racing (right or wrong) along with turbo and supercharged cars has birthed a new generation of performance car enthusiasts. The trash talk between the Kitty Cat/Demon versus the GT500 and the ZL1. Those are the cars that will continue to see developmental dollars. Is there room for a Z28? A car that fits a crowd that wants to play the part but not necessarily partake in it? You have to believe so and you have to believe they would likely sell more than they did last time.