View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #203
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Ok I get the logic on all of the above... still gonna argue that the Z28 will be a higher volume car and as such need more color options. Not to open the "what do you call it" debate, but I still think that the name itself communicates a widely available and affordable sports/muscle car...

So I'm thinking the price needs to be below 40K...

Having said that... I'm always amazed at how expensive weight reduction is... I think that is going to be the most difficult hurdle to clear... I like the idea of stripped down.. but I don't know if the price point will support that amount of real weight reduction...

I say go with as many suspension components as possible. Remove the fluff, leather power seats (I get the AC and Radio requirement and I agree it should be there.) very simple stereo with less speakers and so on... and try like hell to keep the price down. If, the buyer wants to pay the aftermarket for lighter stuff... then so be it... we've pretty much proven that Camaro owners are spending large sums of money right now...
The weight reduction I propposed comes with a minimal price tag. Most is just leaving stuff out. i.e. hood blanket, not spraying sound insulation, leaving out the trunck treatment. Better calipers, rotors, wheels, drive-line and $500 RWHP cost money. What is the currect SS base $31K? loaded 36K.

I am guessing we have real money costs to build the Z28 of 5 to 7K. that brings us to $38K, but Chevrolet has to make money on it so we double it $31k + $14K = $45K. Maybe they can build it for less, but I would be shocked if it were less than $40K.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote