View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #36
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
The Mobil 1 I found in 75W-90 has "LS" on the bottle, so I only used a smidgen of additive. I can hear the rear end during a tight turn in a parking lot, but nothing during street driving. It grabs the clutch plates in the diff pretty well (M6 manual V-6).

My fluid had a lot of break-in debris both in the fluid and on the drain plug at 1200 miles. I changed it "hot." That's how I change all lubricants, as they are holding more debris than when they are cold. Just be aware they are coming out hot and you'll be fine.

Good advice to remove the fill (top) plug before removing the drain (bottom) plug. I had a manual transmissioned SUV that I found out the hard way it is difficult to fill from the drain plug when the fill plug wouldn't come out.

I tend to follow the manual on this service. It says to change the fluid far more frequently when the car is tracked (mine isn't; I just treat the freeway entrance ramps like a strip). You'll be amazed at what ends up on that magnetic drain plug.

Another "lift" method is a simple couple of pieces of lumber. Amazing what a few 2"x8" pieces of left-over wood can do for your clearance when you drive up on them. Stagger them so you drive both rear wheels up on a pair, then another pair and suddenly you have an extra 3" under the car. (2"x whatever lumber is 1 1/2" thick)

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote