View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
frank99ta

Drives: Trans Am
OK, here you go.. First off, all microfiber towels, sponges, rags, etc.. 1)Wash the car with Dawn and rinse it well 2) clay bar the whole car to get rid of all contaminants 3) polish the paint. This is what makes the difference. When you have a black car, you use a good polish like Menzerna intensive polish with an orange pad followed by Menzerna's final polish with a yellow pad to REMOVE, not fill in any swirls, etchings, or other imperfections in the clear coat. In order to properly use these polishes, you have to invest in a porter cable. This is available at Home depot, Lowes, or any detailers site. Trying to remove swirls in the paint by hand is virtually impossible and you will end up putting more scratches in then you take out. Once you've completed this step, your car will look like wet black paint and smoothe as silk. Now you're ready for step 4) apply a sealant. This will protect your car in the long term like 6 months or so depending on if your car is in the garage or exsposed to the elements. The sealant will help protect the clear coat you just polished. You can stop after the sealant, but I usually follow up with a nice carnuba wax. The carnuba gives that final wet look. I would add a coat of carnuba every month or so. There is the recipe for a show quality black car. Maintenance will be washing once a week and plan on doing this whole process 2 to 3 times a year or less depending on if its a daily driver. For more detailed info, I would go over to autopia.org. Those guys over there know their stuff and that is where I learned. When people see my black Trans Am, they just stare in amazement because there is no swirls or spider webbing in the paint. So basically, black is a PITA. Its a love hate kind of relationship. I ordered a black 2ss/rs and there are days that I'm thinking about changing to cyber gray. Hope this helps..
frank99ta is offline   Reply With Quote