View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #17
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxzl1 View Post
this happened to my 2015 Z, theres a body ground on the pass side by the

front header tube(manifold) its attached to a stud with a nut.. pull it off and
then pull the stud out of head and put the ground wire on the bolt and install it so the ground is touching the head. a little blue locktite and tighten it down... this worked for me, been 3 years and no problems...

I took a look at this and don't think I'm going to do that. The reason I suspect they have a large nut touching the block, the ring terminal for the ground, and then another large nut on that stud is probably so the heat from the block doesn't melt that shrink wrap tubing around the terminal as well as the rubber around the wire. The inner nut touching the block is big enough surface area that it shouldn't be stopping the block from being properly grounded. I did loosen it a little and re-tighten it down however.

If it weren't properly grounded there I wouldn't expect this issue to occur only when the engine is hot either, specifically when I've been heavily accelerating just prior. If anything it should be the opposite as hot expanded metal conducts electricity better than cold.

IDK. Not ruling this out, but going to try the starter wrapped in heat shield protection and crank shaft position sensor first since they are right next to each other. If that still doesn't fix it, then I'll explore options of maybe adding my own additional ground on the block somewhere directly off the ring terminal (that I think goes to the battery) by the end of the cone of my air intake.
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6: Rotofab CAI, JDP ZL-R Rough Idle Cam, Upgraded Valve Springs and Pushrods, Ron Davis Heat Exchanger, Alky Methanol Injection, Rx Catch Can, 87mm VMAX Ported TB, Summit Performance Spark Plug Wires, 10" Lower Pulley, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with Magnaflow Cats, ID850 Injectors, Johnson 2110R lifters, EBC Slotted Rotors+Hawk Pads, Rotofab SC Coolant Reservoir, 160* Thermostat, Custom Mild to Wild switch, Tune, 1st to 4th bypass. 685 RWHP / 640 RWTQ.
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote