View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #68
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
I have it from a good source that this is a special "abuse telltale" indicator which was required by Brembo.

Apparently early on when GM wanted to get Brembo to help with the design, there was some resistance because of the notorious way that Camaro drivers like to drive their cars - to the absolute limit. And Brembo did not want to be on the hook for warranty work in the case where the brakes were abused. So part of the deal was for GM to develop a system which would detect any excessive abuse of the braking system.

Now as we all know, GM is hanging by a thread, and well they sort of forgot about this agreement until the last minute. Rather than delay the release of the car and spend all sorts of $$ on development, they came up with this ingenious last-minute fix.

If a hard stop is made from any speed above 140 MPH, the lead weights will melt, thereby indicating abuse of the system.

I have also heard that production has slowed due to a shortage of wheel weights.

This may be the best urban legend ever created. I'm not saying your wrong but lead melts at 621.43 °F. I really don't think stopping at 140MPH would create that type of heat. Even if it did get that hot there would be no need for the lead because all kinds of other stuff would be melted for sure...

For the real answer look at my post, its 3 up....
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote