Thread: gears
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdipinto View Post
Just for curiosity, if you wanted to upgrade the rear gear, but you want to keep the same RPM when going in the highway, how hard would it be to open up the transmission and change the gears in there?
I want to put a 3.9 or a 4.1 rear gear, but I want to keep the car with the good MPG it makes... I was thinking how hard and expensive would it be to change the size of the 4th, 5th and 6th gear...
(as of right now I use 1-3 for fun and just acceleration, 4 for driving in the city, 5 for driving on a higher speed limit still in the city, like 35mph, and 6 for highway)

assuming you have an LS3....my experience with 4.10's...my mpg around town actually got slightly better because there's no more "motor lugging" and it's more "driveable" (clutch works better). And, on the highway at 70mpg in 6th, rpms are only 2000, plus, you can actually use 6th, and not have to downshift to pass anyone....so really you're not gonna take a big hit w/ mpg. 5th and 6th gear in the tr6060 are already soooo overdriven, I wouldn't worry about that (and the $$ it would take to change would pay for a lot of gas).