View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
First you should read about 5000 cam install threads, then realize if you have too many miles on it you will need to replace the lifters which requires pulling the heads and also replacing the lifter baskets so you have to buy new TTY bolts, new baskets new lifters.... a High volume oil pump would be recommended and I do A break in with Driven racing BR30 oil then dump the oil and change it out for LS30, also many ditch the LS3 crappy chain tensioner/dampener which breaks for the ls2/7 dogbone type while they switch out the front gear on the cam to a three bolt, which also is a nice time for a C5r corvette racing timing chain upgrade..... or you can ignore all of those and just do it cheaply, as possible but you have to realize the springs for that about .620 lift cam are going to need changed out periodically at 25k or so intervals its not your old flat tappet cams with lift below our stock lift.

You may also want to upgrade the trunnions to bushed ones, or get the 160 degree thermostat you should, and of course do headers and highflow cats, we have OBD 2 and yes you can get from varied vendors such as RDP dyno steve ,or Jannetty racing if buying parts from them the preloaded custom tunes needed... just don't get stuck on a name as in night fury that's a name for one grind from one shop no longer in business.... WHOPEE... tons of others out there and tons to learn for you and I don't have a month to teach you..but 1700$ for the install that's about right if you buy fluids and a couple rounds of oil and all the parts etc etc.....

Texas Speed is good with kits also for about $750 you can get a cam, springs and pushrods, gaskets and three bolt cam gear extra and the "harmonic balancer" bolt also which the stock balancer is just a pulley not a real good balancer for dampening vibrations the engine is internally balanced but not especially well for a radical cam....

I would say your about to spend a bunch of money you don't have planned on, you may get headers with highflow cats..I use stainless power bought long ago for $715 with install of those which are more now and just a tune and a good CAI your at the 1700$ area of the install supposedly of the cam. Stuff cost $$$ SO read up.....headers would work with the stock exhaust for now and a good tune make it more enjoyable to drive until you can go further...or grow about 4 grand for parts, install, fluids, upgrades at the same time if you really want to do it up right..and yes it more for a l99....

And the Cam in a stock car...the question is can you loose a couple miles per gallon mileage and do you have to smog test...…? And recommend things like..new plugs as they get hurt often doing headers..or you could stay stock exhaust even the manifolds and do them later...its a lot of things to consider...