View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #177
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
I can see why some feel.my post come off that way. I understand why. I just choose to stick to my guns on the 3 second issue and the tires. While we don't have to agree, I am entitled to speculate as well as anyone. I don't and haven't said the z28 won't be a superb track car, I only asked that we see both cars with race tires on the same track. Small request cheap tire change, 1 day of driving. No biggie. We can all see it one way or another, but we cannot expect that either side will just change its opinion. And I don't expect you guys too, I am just hearing opi ions and giving mine. On the the topic. Off topic comments, no thanks peeps
Here is the flaw with the notion of just changing the tires on the cars....

Cars are tuned with the tires that they are intended to use (factory stock tires). The ZL1 Camaro suspension is tuned for the tires that it comes with, so just putting on it the Z/28 tires will not allow it to maximize the performance advantage. Same thing applies to the Z/28 Camaro, if you put lesser tires on it then you seriously risk throwing off the balance of the car.

So while yes having the Z/28 tires is going to give someone an advantage, however I think we all can look at both vehicles and understand that not all of the advantages come from the tires. The ZL1 Camaro is 4,100 pounds while the Z/28 is going to be around 3,780 pounds (my guess based on GMs press release). Certainly having a 320 pound weight advantage is going to be good for some performance, also according to GMs press release the Z/28 does have a better power to weight ratio then the ZL1 Camaro (at 3,780 pounds that means 540+BHP). Also the aerodynamic edge and the carbon ceramic disc brakes will be another area where the Z/28 has an advantage over the ZL1 Camaro.

So to just assume that if you swapped tires that the ZL1 will be even or faster would require one to ignore everything else about the two cars.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote