View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #178
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
I can see why some feel.my post come off that way. I understand why. I just choose to stick to my guns on the 3 second issue and the tires. While we don't have to agree, I am entitled to speculate as well as anyone. I don't and haven't said the z28 won't be a superb track car, I only asked that we see both cars with race tires on the same track. Small request cheap tire change, 1 day of driving. No biggie. We can all see it one way or another, but we cannot expect that either side will just change its opinion. And I don't expect you guys too, I am just hearing opi ions and giving mine. On the the topic. Off topic comments, no thanks peeps
Both cars with the same tires on the same track...the Z/28 is going to be faster for many reasons. 1. it has 11" wide tires all the way around; more rubber on the road. 2. it's 300 lbs lighter (maybe more, we don't know yet). 3. it's weight balance will be more favorable allowing it greater speeds into, through and out of corners. 4. the power difference will be negligible; the LS7 engine has a much better torque range giving it the advantage on a road course. 5. brakes; the Z/28's brakes will enable it to survive serious braking lap after lap while the ZL1 will have heat issues. 6. aerodynamically the Z/28 is being optimized in many ways specifically for road course performance. Those are just a few we know of; when Stielow says they've made over 200 changes, there's some serious tweaking going on that goes way beyond sticky tires. It says something that the car is capable of handling 11" wide sticky tires like that without fuel starvation, oil starvation or suspension component failures...that's a LOT of side-force grip.

The ZL1 is a great street car that can be driven on the track and do well; there's nothing wrong with that or the fact that it will be beaten ON THE TRACK by a designed-for-the-track car.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote