View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
got2gozoom

Drives: 2013 1LS-6sp-VictoryRed
I am still deciding on this item too.

In my mind, the most important thing is " HOW WELL DOES THE FILTER IN THE KIT --- FILTER !!!"
I look for proof using time in marketplace as a bellwether here, and K&N does win that one, I tempered that with knowing of some K&N products that have weaknesses and the design is never corrected, but they will give you a new filter ( YZF600R yamaha 97-2007 foam tears between filter panels). That is sort of a mixed bag then from K&N, but they are one of the most experienced.

Second to that, and VERY important, how does the CAI adapt itself for the computer in our cars ... I think that the size of the tube where the MAF is located should be near stock diameter so MAF readings stay reasonably similar - AND - intake air temps should be kept as low as possible.

Third, how is cold air getting to the filter... Injen long ram CAI wins that hands down IMHO, BUT with a scoop from the lower grill like the Apex scoop, almost any top mount CAI can be improved in terms of how much cold air it gets and Hydro-lock possibilities can be minimized..

If I had hstory to reference for the quality of the FILTRATION of the Spectre and price was THE object, I'd pick the Spectre... its a tube and a cone filter for goodness sakes. I don't like tossing hundreds away unless it is REALLY worth it. Consider this ... for the cost of the Spectre AND a CNC machined throttle body .. you are still $99 under a CAI.

For the next price up, as far as I am concerend, I'd pick K&N's 63 system and not the 69 system with the shiny metal heat soaking tube (IMHO). PLUS look at the dyno graphs closely of the 63 versus the 71, the 63 kicks in with more torque across the curve, the 69 has less than factory for a brief bit at low rpm's but then flows more than stock. WHY? I guess the plastic adds a touch more turbulence to the incoming air versus the shiny chrome tube 69 version and thereby you get a bit more even air distribution. BUT, hey these intake manifolds are obviously well tuned... so they may react just fine to a smooth solid flow of incoming air, and they do appear to as the chrome one has a touch more HP up top.

After these two choices, IMHO, the CAI system is the Cadillac. It is way overpriced IMHO like a Cadillac. I'm sure the heat resistant ceramic coating on the tube costs money and so does the heat shield insulative foam and foil in the CAI housing. Those factors do show CAI engineered to keep IAT's down. But jeepers, $400??? I do have to say though that the look of the Cold Air Inductions CAI is the winner. It is nice looking there in the corner.

SO IMHO, give me a GREAT well proven filter element with a plastic tube because the plastic tube is less likely to heat soak than a metal one (I am ASSuming this as fact), and a VERY GOOD seal to the hood when the hood is closed, OR a pretty cover so seal dont matter....

For me, first choice is a K&N 63 with a VMAX throttle body ... or a Cold Air Inductions if a rich friend asks me what I want from Santa Clause.

M in Charlotte NC

Last edited by got2gozoom; 10-22-2013 at 01:54 PM.
got2gozoom is offline   Reply With Quote