View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 03:32 AM   #12
Toolie

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
I liken ICE Mode as a default mode of the ABS. All of the wheel speed sensors are seeing zero or disagreeable wheel speed when compared to the transmission output shaft speed. If the trans output speed is showing movement, it's obvious the car is moving. So the ABS unit will limit pressure to the calipers. I have never felt pulsating during an ICE Mode event that is seen with normal ABS intervention. Maybe it is happening so fast that the frequency is not felt in the pedal.

It is a hard pedal with limited brake pressure, which certainly could describe any other ABS event, but without the pulsation. The feel of the pedal and the experience of the driver likens it to an ABS car on a sheet of very low grip ice. Now I live in the mountains of PA, very low grip road surfaces are a common possibility during winter and I have experienced it. Even in that instance of actual ice, you may feel the ABS pulsating, with firm pedal and limited braking due to limited pressure being sent to the calipers.

The difference between potentially sliding on icy surfaces vs a surface that does have some grip potential is that even if the ABS does what it is supposed to do, the car may not be slowing enough to satisfy the driver or the ABS module. On ice, that surface is so slippery that it never gives the tires a chance to gain grip. The ABS may not have an infinite resolution that it can work in. But I think the ABS cal may play a part in whether certain models/variants/combos will have a tendency for ICE Mode to arrive easier.

I have experienced ICE Mode and normal ABS (high frequency pulsating) intervention on track. The key to safely working yourself out ICE Mode is to remain calm and release the pedal and reapply but at a "softer" rate. That has worked for me, even during a high speed braking event with a low speed corner coming up. It's amazing how the mind works in those quick decision situations. I released and reapplied at a softer rate and had normal braking. Even though the car was now slowing at a much better rate, I correctly choose to give up making the corner and kept minimal steering input in, not so much that I would spin in the grass. I went off track but had plenty of run off room to maintain control.
Wow, thanks for the detailed response 👍
2015 Z28 SIM AC/Speakers #1228
2011 RAM 2500 6.7 diesel
2018 Husqvarna TE300
1985 Yamaha RZ500
Toolie is offline   Reply With Quote