View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Another Writer Loves the V6 Camaro

Mark Maynard of the San Diego Union-Tribune got to drive 3 of the four versions. He really loved the V6:

Quote:
The cars turned heads at every stoplight from a variety of ages and from both sexes. It definitely has the “look” that people will pay for...

I was most impressed with the 3.6-liter V-6 and six-speed automatic with steering-wheel shift tabs. Get the 2LT with uplevel interior package of Inferno Orange (more red than orange) leather-trimmed seats with door inserts and a line of lighting, which creates a sharp-looking interior. As equipped, that car would carry a sticker of $30,000-plus.

Here are some observations from my first drive.

Acceleration is strong, shift points are good. And, wow, 304-horsepower and 29 mpg on the highway! Sixth gear is a loafer for highway cruising on the manual.

The V-6 has a real dual-exhaust system and runs on regular gas.

The manual gearbox could use refinement. It is difficult to heel-toe shift because pedal heights aren't ideal and downshifts from third to second or from fifth to fourth are coarse and not precise. Both of us missed gears a couple of times. And both of us also jammed it into reverse at traffic lights. But do that a few times and your muscle memory refines your arm movement. (On V-8 manuals, reverse is down and right.)

Definitely consider the optional short-throw Hurst shifter that will be available later in the year.

I liked the sound of the 6.2-liter V-8s, but their power feels less dramatic than the pounce of the V-6.
This car is going to be outstanding.

Here's the full article.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote