View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #103
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
No doubt. Only problem is it's never the burglar who the dog tears apart.

Like I said, I am not an advocate of killing existing dogs, just not allowing them to breed. And like I said, Dog, Cat, breed of each or whatever, if they can and will kill a human, we eraticate them through breeding control. My two best freinds here in Alabama BOTH had PitBulls. One of them is still a big brute. Awesome dog. But I (as an occasional guest) dont' get too close to it. Call me paranoid but it can do me some serious harm if I piss it off somehow.

The other freind had to get rid of his because it was mauling his other dog. He had the Pit from a puppy up, and the other dog (Black Lab) was already there before the Pit Puppy. But the puppy got big quick and two trips to the vet and a lot of pain later he got rid of it. That dog never showed any agression to people but other animals it would attack instantly. No real reason Steve could think of. Steve is a State Trooper and has had dogs all his life. Just one of those things.

You being scared of the dog in the first place puts you more at risk. The dog will see you as week and inferior to it, and if you do something wrong it will correct you (this usually involves growling, nipping and other aggressive behavior). Remember, dogs are not human, they are supposed to be raised in a pack. You as the human have to be the alpha male of the pack at all times, along with all other humans in the household.

As for your friend Steve's dog, I've seen the same thing in a red doberman that we had. Was very friendly to us but would chase down and kill any animal (including my puppy at the time) that ran from it or got too close to it's food. Since she brought back coons and possums most of the time we didn't mind to much, but finally put her down after she killed my mom's ducks. Point is, it's not the breed, it's how you raise, train, and socialize the dog. A lot of people that buy these larger and more aggressive dogs don't understand that and don't give their dogs the proper training. THOSE dogs are the ones you hear about in the news that end up killing people.

And as for shih tzu's:
http://www.zimbio.com/Lhasa+and+Shih...e+greeter+nose
Yeah, little dogs may not be able to KILL but they can be pretty damn vicious when you don't train them. Mom used to raise jack russel terriers, they ended up killing a weaker member of the pack. Imagine all 6 of those dogs attacking you at once....

Last edited by Brokinarrow; 08-24-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote