View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #341
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I can honestly say that I don't envy the mods at all because the burden of negotiating and securing a different location every year for an event projected to have over 1,000 guests is just absurd. And yet they do it and smile about it, and they refrain from lashing out when people bust their balls every other post.

Am I disappointed that it's back in Indy? Sure.

Am I going to rant and rave and cry like a little girl? No.

The fact is, the turn around from Fest 3 to Fest 4 planning was incredibly short, so the mods were backed into a corner to start with. Trying to do all the negotiating for a location in such a short time period severely limited the bargaining power. And Indianapolis easily shot to the top of the list because so many of the agreements are still fresh and easy to re-apply and didn't require endless debates on the specifics.

I don't fault the Camaro5 staff at all for making the decision they did, given the constraints they faced.

That being said, I think some things need to be changed with how the decision is made.

First off, I think the event needs to be held on the same weekend every year. I know this is problematic where weather in different host cities is concerned, but trying to have one year's event in the fall and then the following year's event in the spring to accomodate the local weather creates more scheduling headaches than necessary. Remember all the folks complaining that they needed to know a date so they could request the time off? This would completely eliminate that hassle, and make it easier for people to plan ahead of time regardless of where the event is. Besides, once this "thing" gains popularity, being able to tell people, "first weekend in August," or, "third weekend in April," should help introduce an air of event recognition.

Secondly, and I know this will take some time, but I think 4 locations should be determined and used on a rotation:

Northeast (Indy or maybe Ohio)
Northwest (any tracks in the Utah/Idaho area?)
Southeast (Alabama or Valdosta, GA)
Southwest (Firebird or similar)

While I wouldn't mind there being an event in Texas, the tracks here just don't have what Camaro5 needs. Sure, we could have it in Houston, but I want to visit someplace that has stuff to do. Don't get offended Houstonites, but what fun stuff is there to do in and around the Houston track and hotels?

Maybe if the F1 track in Austin gets a quarter-mile strip installed, it could be viable, but I would gues that track's going to be one crazy expensive venue, kind of like Las Vegas...

And thirdly, it should not rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise. Every means possible should be used to prevent half the country from missing out for two years in a row.

Northeast -> Southwest -> Southeast -> Northwest

You're seeing that happen right now. Many people get rubbed the wrong way when the event is held too far from them for two years in a row. You can call 'em whiny babies all you want, but don't think for a second that you wouldn't have the exact same complaints if you were in their shoes. I've always tried to reassure people that just because it's not close this year doesn't mean it won't be close next year. But having it in Indy two years in a row makes it real hard to sell that message.

I know the Camaro5 staff will improve and streamline the activities and events of Fest 4 a great deal over the last Fest, but you're sacrificing a lot of good will amongst the devoted members for the sake of optimization.

The biggest reason the majority of Camaro5 members attend the Fest is for the people, not because it's some "perfect event" where every car that wants to race can get umpteen runs in per day. Don't forget what the top priority is for this thing: people interacting with people that you wouldn't normally get to kick back with. The streamlined event will come with time, there's no need to rush it. Besides, the folks who only show up to events to get as many runs in as possible on the AutoX or the drag strip aren't really the people that the Fest is, or should be, catered to.

I hope this doesn't come off as some kind of rant or tirade. And if it does, I apologize. The Camaro5 Staff are a uniquely awesome group of people that manage to pull off some pretty amazing things, all in their spare time to boot. I just wanted to gather my thoughts and try to put them all into what I hope is seen purely as constructive criticism.

I know most folks won't read this whole thing and just gloss past it thinking it's just some Texas guy whining again. But for those of you who do, I truly appreciate your time. Thanks!

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote