View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
Oh no problem there, I'll give it a shot thanks!

I do believe you that too rigid of a front sway will cause understeer, but I'm having trouble understanding why? Can you please explain that a little bit? Thanks again
It's a lot easier explaining it in person because I can use hand gestures, but I'll attempt anyway.

Basically, a sway bar's job is to use the weight of the other side of the vehicle to put torsion on the sway bar and lift the outside of the car to prevent it from "dipping down" or "rolling over" (body roll). When you have body roll, the tires on the outside of the turn get pushed down toward the road and the tires on the inside of the turn rise up.

When the sway bars are stiffened equally, there will not be a change in oversteer/understeer, only significantly less body roll. Now say you have a stiff rear bar and a soft front bar. This allow's the weight to transfer to the front outside tire and will reduce the weight on the rear inside tire in the turn. This gives you more front end grip and less rear grip and allows the vehicle to rotate around the turn. This is often referred to as "lift oversteer". Lift over steer in a RWD is not necessarily a good thing as you can usually make up for a little understeer it with a throttle steering. If you have too much oversteer, you are just going to spin out. The ultimate goal is to find a neutral balance so that when you are on the edge of traction in a turn, all tires will begin to let go evenly and not more so on the front (understeer) or the rear (oversteer).

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to call, PM or email me.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote