Thread: sound processor
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
I don't have enough time right now to fully explain all this, but here goes as much as I can:

1 - Stock BA head unit is clean. No need to fix what isn't broken.
2 - Putting the stock amp back in to only fix it's problems with a Fix-82 is basically un-fixing it and then fixing it. Again - stock head is clean.
3 - I would say your issue (Sub-to-mid blend) probably lies in where your XD400/4 and Memphis amps are crossed over. If you have too high of a high pass on your mids, and too low of a low pass on your subs, you'll have a gap in frequency response (which sounds like what you are describing). There is a further issue of speaker response, but I'm not going to get into that.

Are you running all stock speakers (obviously subs are not stock). How are your stock 6x9's wired? Which Memphis amp are you running and which subs do you have? Almost all amps (save for the stupid-high-end) have some sort of crossover ability built in to them. The XD400/4 has a pretty good crossover built in, so adjusting the filters on that one should be pretty easy.

If running stock drivers, you should have your fronts set to high-pass around 80hz or so, and the stock rear 6x9's (the 6x9, not the wide banders in the middle) can most likely be high passed around 50hz (but 80hz to match the fronts would probably blend better). The subs you would probably do a low pass at 60hz. Butterworth filters (am I getting too deep??) which is what JL uses have a little bump at the crossover point that basically smooths out the transition between the mid and sub.

Short version - you'd be much better off with a TWK-88 than a Fix-82. You could then set your filters much easier and have EQ to go with it and tune it, but I'm warning you that is a rabbit hole.
Thanks for the assistance, the amp is a memphis pr1X600 all speakers are stock BA. I know absolutely nothing about tuning the amp, it was all done by the shop that installed it. Originally it was just the sub and memphis amp, which still had terrible sound quality, than later replaced the BA amp with a jl and now it sounds like the bass is separated from the highs. The issue I run into is I don't know what I'm doing and am afraid to mess with the amp settings and make things worse, but also don't have a trustworthy shop in the area that I know isn't just trying to make me blow money
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote