View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #210
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The concern isn't as much that somebody eventually will run this car at the dragstrip as it is that there are people who would shift the Z/28's publicly-perceived focus away from its road course intent.

Placing so much emphasis on dragstrip stats skews the way the car is viewed even within the enthusiast segment. ETs and trap speeds is one thing, but as soon as you mention 60' times you've shown a clear dragstrip focus and a desire to make a dragstrip car out of the Z/28. That's where the objections lie.

On edit, simply opening it up in a straight line isn't challenging enough for some of us.

Worst downstream case would be for Chevy to listen to the dragstrip moaners about how 7 liters and 500+ HP wasn't performing in a straight line up to expectations, and they proceed to soften the road course capabilities to crutch the dragstrip numbers as a result.

"Standard measuring sticks" aside, we don't all have the drag racer's outlook and don't even think the same way. Suppose the corner-carvers here had asked what skidpad and slalom performances could be expected from the COPOs? With the implication being that some whining would result if those measurements came in below the performance level of, say, a base SS. That's what concentrating on dragstrip results for the Z/28 and hinting at comparisons to the ZL1 sounds like as heard out toward the other end of the enthusiast spectrum. Try to understand.

Norm
Well said, I think part of the problem in this thread has been both sides though. OP asked a question, and some of the very first responses I have highlighted were pretty negative and harsh. Basically the vibe I got from alot of posters here in this thread was "DONT CARE NOT BUILT FOR IT SO NO ONE SHOULD CARE WHAT IT DOES ON THE 1/4 AND SHOULD NEVER EVEN THINK OF TAKING IT TO THE DRAGSTRIP"

I agree 1/4 is not be all end all performance test but like others said, its gonna be tested in the 1/4, and there will be people who take it there. Maybe the OP just wanted to know if someone challenged him at a stoplight how the Z/28 would fare, or maybe he was just stirring up some conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
My guess on the z/28 1/4 times and mph is ZERO because nobody who buys one is going to want to be seen at a FREAKING DRAGSTRIP. I honestly don't get the 1/4 mile thing sometimes. It's not the be-all end-all of performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
No sh*t. Z/28 1/4 mi times: Boring.

Nurburgring, Laguna Seca, VIR, now those are times that show the engineering that went into the car and ones I look forward to learning.

And most critical- can it hold up to do it all day, day after day?

#74 on my Z/28 list of important facts: drag racing performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I mean this with all due respect but I think you are missing the point of this beast. This car is more about handling and the "whole package" than just raw power.....
these are just some of the posts that came off to me as a bit aggressive, its not like the OP asked what it was gonna take to put it in the tens.

And I see where all the Z/28 purists / corner carver guys are coming from too. Yeah the Z/28 is not gonna be a monster on the 1/4 but thats because its going to devour pretty much any car on the race track because thats what this car was built for. That is where this car will excel.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote