View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #63
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
You are ignoring that an LS3 flows more air before it gets boosted. Once both cars are boosted, adding the same amount of air and fuel will result is a similar amount of HP gain. But is the amount of air flowing, not the boost, that is making the difference. The turbo I have is the smallest in the EFR line. It maxes out at 23 psi. I can go up one step in turbo size and make more power but that turbo still maxes out at 23 psi. Same boost, more power. What's the difference? The larger turbo flows more air for given boost.

If a LS3 motor was equipped with two of my turbos I very seriously doubt it would make any more power than mine does. It would probably make less because it would have to run richer to handle the higher cylinder temps. They have to run a pretty big turbo to make 600 HP on just 9-10 psi.
Ok I think I see your point. Yes it is about how much air is moved into and out of an engine. But that amount of air is moving because of positive pressure. Without the boost, that engine would never flow that amount of air. So yes, bigger turbos will make more hp for the same amount of boost because it will move more air. And that is the same thing as a bigger engine making more power with the same amount of boost. Because the engine can flow more air. So your car with X turbo will make X hp. Increase the turbo size and you can make the same hp with less boost or you can make more hp with the same boost. An LS3 will do the same given properly sized turbos. Your two turbos would likely be too small for a 6.2 to be efficient. And heat would be a major issue. And on the other hand, two turbos sized for a 6.2 would not be an efficient set-up for your engine because they are too big. But give both engines properly sized turbos and the 6.2 will make more with less boost. I think we are basically saying the same thing in different ways.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote