View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
Hey I'm kinda new to the speed but I have an HP tune on my 2010 SS now , Magna Cat back, CAI and my headers just arrived and am about to get them put on... I know after the install tut you have to tune it, but can someone explain to me the differences in the HP tune that I have and a DYNO tune.... Sorry for the stupid question..,,
HPtuners is just software, a tuning tool. It's not a handheld that comes ready to flash, you have to know what you are doing to use it effectively (or be willing to put in the time to learn). You use it via a laptop. Very powerful software, we use it on everything from stock cars to those making 1200hp+.

A dyno tune is simply someone tuning the car on the dynamometer, which essentially is a treadmill for a car that measures horsepower, torque, and provides air fuel readings as well. On the dyno you can use whatever software you prefer...HPTuners, EFilive, whatever.

Here's an example of a dyno tune for you...this is us on our Dynojet dyno tuning a ZL1 with HPtuners. Typically you start by baselining the car (running it with the stock tune in it) to see what it makes, then applying your changes, and doing subsequent runs utilizing that data to tweak the tune until it's perfect.

Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote