Thread: Intake manifold
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #181
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerlemonta View Post
I think your taking what i am saying to much to heart. Your car when you purchased it would it not accelerate in 6th gear on the interstate to pass? In a two lane passing situation I would tend to use 4th to just get by as quick and safe as possible. My stock cam stock heads 5th gen did go mid 11s @120. I swapped to a mid runner fast recently to go after a record as I needed the additional 25 hp from 6600-7000 to help pull mph through the traps. From what I have gathered the LOD is going to work more like an old school tunnel ram where the air is just naturally falling into the head instead of having to draw it through a runner. The only reason I stated about the results of low end torque on the dyno is the expectation is not realistic. You drive down the interstate at 80mph your at around 1400-1600rpm stock gear and with 4.10s your still just barely over 2200rpm. I can currently drive in 6th at 35mph and accelerate just fine. I stick the cam in and well that is going to change because I fully expect it to surge a little below 1500 because that is what a light clutch decent size cam will do. Sticking a cam in a basically stock 5th gen is pretty counter productive. You will then be giving the car less torque as you have no supporting mods for the cam. But if a V6 camaro can move then a cam with no support will too. But a proper bolt on car will flat spank that car that has just a cam.
Well, yeah? You seemed to be making a joke out of something that is actually at least a slight concern to me. I can't even remotely drive my car @35 in 6th gear even with the gears. Obviously some of that is the cam profile though, but it really didn't like it 100% stock. That's awesome you could pick up 25 going with the mid runner fast! Do you have a dyno that shows your car with the ported rod mod, vs going to that fast? Or even one of your stock intake vs the Ported/Rod mod? Also, I am guessing that a lighter car like a vette would not be bothered quite as bad on the bottom end either, just because it's a lot less weight to lug around?

And I agree the LOD seems a lot like a tunnel ram. Which means I question how I would like it RIGHT NOW compared to a ported/rod mod intake, but I imagine it would definitely be the no brainier choice if I end up sticking a procharger on this thing at some point! But as of now that's an unknown, and will likely be NA for a while still. Totally looking forward to your results getting to run this thing on a dyno and track!

And I didn't stick a cam in a stock car, I had headers and an intake first! Then did cam, ported TB, and ported heads at the same time, knowing I would get gears soon after. I can't speak to a v6, but I am telling you, without the gears this cammed car would DECELERATE at WOT at 65mph in 6th if it was going uphill. I usually downshift to pass too, so it's not like it was the end of the world. And for the comments about low end loss not realistic....I'm not saying there should be NONE. I would give up 15 @2500rpm for 20+ @6500, for sure. But I wouldn't want to lose 40 to get 10, if that makes sense? Look at some of the intakes on that shootout I posted. Some of them would probably be great if I wanted to get another 1/10th off my time, but horrible for something that's almost all street
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote