Thread: V6 Guys Only
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #78
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Interesting stuff...

Even if there is some truth to this 100 octane story, wouldn't you think there is a probability that the factory tune of the ECM might hold back your results?

Maybe this GM tech dude meant to say more of what the engine may be capable of with (what I'll call) an 'unlocked' tune, versus what GM has on it from the factory?

There are some here whom think the computer is basically only allowing so much torque, and unlocking that barrier would open up all new possibilities.

Also, assuming the high octane myth is true, shouldn't other guys here who are running CAI, exhaust, headers, and tune AND 93 octane be dynoing at nearly 290 to 300 rwhp if your stock car did 264? They're not.

I'm not saying I don't at all believe there isn't some key yet to be found to unlocking the V6's potential, but I just think in your case that the possibility of moving from one dyno to another (plus some help from the 02 octane) is more likely the cause of seeing the big number changes.

Lets not forget that the new ford V6 also produces quite a bit more HP than TQ numbers, just like our V6. What is it about these engines that causes them to produce much high HP numbers than TQ, when traditional engines produced higher TQ than HP?? (for example, the outgoing ford 4.0. 210 horse, but 240 TQ!) Is ford holding back that engine as well? Or is it just the design and thats that?