View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 03:16 AM   #2824
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyridinghigh View Post
Any speculations on how the new Coyote will match up against the LS3?? I've heard a decent amount about the v6 but no numbers on the v8, anyone care to speculate?
there's nothing but speculation on that engine. However, the car will be gaining 40-140 lbs (based on info about the V6). The claims are 400 hp and 400 ft-lbs, out of a 5.0L. The horsepower will be relatively easy. But from what I gather, getting that torque will be a tall order. Most DI engines I've came across generate about 76 ft-lbs/L, strangely this is nearly universal. It also puts the torque at 380 ft-lbs, which compares favourably with other 5.0L engines out there. This Coyote V8 will need 80/L to hit the 400 mark, for a naturally aspirated production car this is extremely rare (bordering on practically never). That includes exotics that squeeze nearly everything they can out of their engines.

So look for the 2011 Mustang GT to have a 400 hp /380 ft-lb 5.0L engine, getting probably 17/26 for fuel economy. The car will probably weigh about 3600 lbs. A drag race will come down to the smaller details like traction, gearing, and not least of all ... driver skill.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum