View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #37
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Very much disagree, burning oil is never white, and it always stinks. That's just a simple fact whether some perceive it differently.

If no part of your breather/PCV or whatever is piped so oil can ever find it's way into that cold side plumbing, then it is either the turbos are screwed, or huge oil drain issues ( which again can come back to inadequate crankcase breathing too )

But with turbos mounted high like that, there should never be any need for external scavenging, although as a desperate move it could be considered.

A simple and full 5/8" drain from each turbo to front cover or pan as already mentioned is more than adequate.

IMO avoid all this AN nonsense, as even whilst some might think -10 is 5/8", the actual ID of many of the fittings is even less than 1/2", some even closer to 7/16", just rubbish for this application.

And what you shown as an oil drain running sideways across the engine bay...as already said, that's never a good option.

Keep it simple, good gravity drain and always downhill. Never sideways, and shortest route possible.

And you will need to clean all that oil out, as it could be falsely causing the smoke even if you manage to fix the initial problem.
It takes very little oil to cause a lot of smoke
KALCORP, you don't know me but please please listen to stevieturbo. He may be one of the top two of three turbo folks on this forum, ever.... and i know most all of them worth listening to...

He's a little wacky and from across the pond, but he knows of what he speaks....

I have low mount twins and a dry sump for oil scavenging, but there has been many a time in the past Stevie was able to guide me in the right direction.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote