View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Lightbulb Prepping your car for HPDE and the Road Course.

So you have decided to try a HPDE event but do not know where to start?

Well, this post will hopefully instill in you the importance of safety of being on a RACE TRACK with your STREET CAR. The first thing you need to know, and say it with me, “This is not a race”. You will become very familiar with that phrase because just about every HPDE company stresses it at the morning drivers meeting - and it’s true. You are NOT out there trying to race the guy next to you or set a course record or any other silly notion and, if you are, get that $hit out of your head right now. You are there to learn how to drive your car better, thus the HPDE, which stands for High Performance Drivers Education. Notice the word race is nowhere in there.

So, what do you need? Well, a car would be nice. Notice I did not say a fast car because that is not really necessary. A well handling one would be nice but we can get around that. A helmet, one that is certified for the track which means it must meet SA2010 standards at a minimum. DOT or Motorcycle helmets will not work here. That is about it.

THIS IS NOT A RACE

But, you say, that can’t be it. Well, it is not really because you have to get your car ready for the RACE TRACK because your car is a STREET CAR. Now, I keep emphasizing those few words because of the following reason, BRAKES. STREET CARS use STREET BRAKES. RACE CARS use TRACK BRAKES. Two VERY different things and should never be confused. Ideally, you want to use STREET BRAKES on the STREET and TRACK BRAKES on the TRACK, make sense? Good. The other things you will need are stainless steel brake lines and Dot 4 fluid. But why, do you ask and I reply, because racecar. OK, not really but street brake lines are made of rubber and can flex when you really stomp on them which you will be doing over, and over, and over on the track. So you do not want flex on the track. The second, Dot 4 fluid, boils at a higher temperature. Now, you are freaking out saying, WHAT??!!??? Ok, look, brakes work by dissipating heat to slow you down. If your fluid is not rated for a higher boiling point when you are halfway through your epic run, you are going to go to hit the brakes and they will fail because you did not listen and you are going to hit the wall. This will happen if you take any STREET stuff to a RACE TRACK.

So let’s review:
Dot 4 fluid
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Track Pads for the Race Track
These are just the Basics to take a STREET CAR onto a RACE TRACK.

THIS IS NOT A RACE

A couple of other things you will need to do before getting on the track so you might as well do this while you are preparing your brakes. Take the center caps off of your wheels. If you do not do this, when they get hot, they will fly off somewhere on the track and you will never see them again. If your valve stems have those nifty chrome, metal caps or covers, take them off. Even if they are plastic take them off prior to getting on the track. Hopefully, I do not have to explain the metal parts and the plastic ones can melt if they get hot enough. Plus, it makes it easier to check your tires PSI when you come off track which you should be doing each and every time. While you are checking your tires, take a look at your brakes. You will also want to tape down your battery posts. Do this now because it is kind of tough after you have packed for the track and all your crap is in the trunk on top of the battery.

Say it loud and say it proud….. THIS IS NOT A RACE!!!!!!!

So, if you are to take anything away from this at all please remember two things: One, THIS IS NOT A RACE and Two, BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES. The speeds you will be traveling on the race track are going to be much faster than what you see on the street. What goes up must come down, what goes fast must slow down. I and everyone that is sharing the track with you want you to be safe and go home at the end of the day, in one piece. So do yourself and those around you a favor and upgrade your brakes before you get onto the track.

T.

(This was originally written in the off season and done mostly by memory. I will edit it as needed)
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote